Healthy Herbal Holiday Punch
It is time to eat, drink and be merry.
Have you ever gone to a holiday party and just been so disappointed in the amount of sugar, sodas and junk food that was there?
I love celebrating life and the changing seasons with friends and good food. Sometimes though, you just have to BYO to make sure you have something healthy to eat and drink.
If you know that your relatives’ party is going to involve the proverbial ice chest full of sodas, you can offer to bring a special drink to share with everyone.
This Holiday Punch has been a hit in my household for years.
It is so simple to make, it is red (people like red drinks during the holidays) and it is healthy and delicious.
Hibiscus is a cardiovascular tonic, elder flowers help fight off colds and inflammation. Peppermint is the perfect addition to holiday drinks because it is a superb digestive aid to help you digest all the holiday treats.
If you don’t have a local herb store, you can order the herbs from Mountain Rose Herbs..
Pull out the punch bowl and enjoy the holidays with a drink that helps keep away colds and keeps you healthy!
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons hibiscus
- 1 tablespoon elder flowers
- 1 teaspoon peppermint
- 4 cups cherry, raspberry or pomegranate juice
- 4 cups carbonated water
- 2 cups fruit granish; orange/tangerine slices, cranberries, pomegranate seeds, berries and cinnamon sticks
- Put water and herbs into a pot with the lid on
- Do not heat the mixtures; just let the herbs infuse into the water overnight. This is called a cold tea infusion and this preparation does not need any heat
- In the morning, strain the herbs from the water and discard the herbs or put them into the compost pile
- Pour this cool tea into punch bowl and add juice, carbonated water and fruit garnishes just before serving
Hello I’m Kami, Welcome to Living Awareness!
I believe every family needs to have someone on board with a working knowledge of natural remedies if you want to take care of your family’s health for real.
When I was growing up, natural remedies was not a mainstream concept like it is now, in fact, you are going to be surprised that I never even heard the word natural remedy until I moved out of the house!
In my early 20’s I met someone by chance that told me about holistic health and herbal medicine. I wondered why nobody had talked to me about it before and had a voracious appetite to learn everything I could.
Now, 30 years later I've helped thousands of people demystify the world of herbal medicine and become empowered in using herbal self-care in their home to prevent illness, take care of common ailments and protect their health naturally.
For 20 years I've had a clinical herbal practice connecting people with plants and their wellness. I've developed and taught herbal curriculum for UCSF School of Nursing and the Integral Health Master’s Degree Program at the California Institute of Integral Studies.
Stick with me! You’ll learn awesome herbal self-care, get inspired to be more self-sufficient in your health care and nourish a deep love for the herbs and how to use them, knowing you are doing the very best you can to care for your wellness.
Latest posts by Kami McBride (see all)
- Plant Communication and Bridging the Gap in Your Herbal Learning - September 23, 2017
- What is Plant Communication? - September 15, 2017
- Kitchen Spice Medicine: Turmeric Curried Onions - August 28, 2017
- The Awe of Sitting with the Blue Whale Bones - August 27, 2017